Friday 4 April 2014

Future Work in Promotions?

As I approach the deadline of this placement with only days left until the end I feel it is time to reflect on my experience so far, as well as speculate the future of a career and simply more work in this field... I have enjoyed the experience, it has been straight forward and easy with its rewards and interesting aspects. Communicating with an independent label's promotion team to co-ordinate places to spread news and updates has given insight into how effectively smaller labels or distribution organisations can use casual chat or blog sites to share information with out spamming or annoying their target audience. I have discovered new and interesting music, while not beneficial to the placement as life long fan of music it has been fun to learn more about what is out there!

My only negative comment is the lack of work on offer. After applying, emailing and calling throughout the first months of the course I finally settled with Ninja Tune. My email was replied to within a day with a request for my address and post code. It was explained that this was so that they can send posters, flyers, leaflets and other items. I was optimistic about this placement, thinking that the quick reply and explanation about both online and street team work would keep me busy with plenty to do and plenty to write about. Also I felt that this was an opportunity to experience how promoters for artists or events operate. A chance for some insight into how they go about doing this. The street team work was the mos exciting prospect of the placement. Unfortunately (as I mentioned in the previous blog) there has been absolutely zero big or physical promotional campaigns and I have had try and prove my worth to the head of the team with my efforts online (which is quite difficult to do considering we a restricted to sharing one link per-artist).

However, despite this I have been in contact with and working for the promotional team of a record label. This kind of experience is still valuable and was definitely a chance understand how they operate, who to approach and what kind of work to look for in the future. I will have better understanding of and will be able to determine what kind of work will be on offer when first contacting a label representative or promoter. Hopefully, this will help me land some work experience at a place where I will be offered more stable, rewarding and hands-on work.

No comments:

Post a Comment